Sunday, December 16, 2012

First Marathon

I just ran in my first marathon. Now I use that phrase liberally, as i just ran in one, but didn't actually run an entire one. I went for a jog this morning in Kisumu, and lo and behold, there was a marathon going on at the end of my block. Tall Kenyan runners without an ounce of fat glided gracefully down the street past me.  I thought why not - might as well join them for a little while.  The support crew at the water stations laughed and cheered me on, perhaps because I did not appear like an official race participant. I must have joined them for just the last 5 miles or so, and I still couldn't keep up with most of them. The race ended in the city center park, and I veered off before the finish line to keep from taking anything away from their hard work. I finished the loop back by our house near Lake Victoria. Since there wasn't anyone around to take my finish line victory shot, i decided to take it myself. 

No comments: